I feel as though our imaginations don't disappear with age, they transform. Instead of playing house with dolls, we are playing house with new matches. We don't even need a first date to begin building the life we'll share with our new Ken doll.
Our brain after meeting a someone new:9:00am: Dum Dum De Dum, Dum Dum De Dum... Wedding bells.
10:00am: We will be in a relationship after 2 months of dating. He's 'good on paper' and cute as hell.
11:00am: We get married. His parents don't live here so maybe we will have two ceremonies.
12:30pm: He will find out that I really don't want children...
1:00pm: My cold exterior will drive him into the arms of another woman. What an asshole.
2:00pm: We get divorced and I'm left exactly where I started except with a different title; divorcee. I've gone through the heartbreak in my head. The crush is over before the first date...
I may be an extreme case but we all do it. We tell ourselves not to 'over analyze' but the wedding bells are going off in our heads.
How can we stop this viscous cycle?
5 Questions & Tips after meeting someone for the first time:
1. Do you feel something you'd like to explore?TIP: Explore.
2. Do you have mismatched traits?TIP: Don't get bogged down in details. I try not to Google or Facebook guys so I don't end up overanalyzing. Focus on traits that spark your curiosity, at least for now.
3. Do you see a future with this guy?TIP: Be present. You can't have a future with someone without focusing on the 'present'.
4. Do you feel like you're playing games?TIP: We all love the thrill of the chase, but do what feels natural. If you don't act natural, your 'relationship' won't be either.
5. Do you really like him?TIP: Don't be scared to have your heart broken, and not just in your head.
This is to all of you hopeless romantics - Keep playing house, but don't let your imagination become your reality.